Monday, February 9, 2009

Radish Greens Stuffed Whole Wheat Bread

I am a big sucker for gourmet produce stores. The sensory thrill of shopping at a store which is bursting the seams with a large variety of vegetables, fruit, prepared foods, cheese and wine, is a high that cannot be matched. :)

Entering a store like Nino Salvaggio's, Papa Joe's or Whole Foods, is an assault on all the senses. The sight of row upon row of shelves stacked almost to the ceiling with all kinds of vegetables in a multitude of colors, the aroma of the fresh, cool, and calming greens, the taste of slices of sweet fruit and slivers of gourmet cheese, the din of the vast crowds of shoppers, the exchange of pleasantries and shop-talk about unfamiliar vegetables with strangers... it is an experience that I love.

Despite the fact that these stores are usually expensive, I manage to shop frugally. I'll let you in on a secret - the trick is to buy whatever is in season - invariably only those vegetables that are not in season are expensive. The rest of the vegetables are usually priced to match the other local big chain grocery stores.

In addition, when I shop for vegetables, I usually look for value. For instance, I love "mooli parathas" (Radish Stuffed Whole Wheat Bread) and will usually pick up a bunch of long white radish for a dollar or two. And if I buy the same radish at a gourmet store, I'll get it with the leaves intact. I know I can use those leaves for something, so I actually end up making two dishes for the price of one vegetable.

So here is my original recipe using Radish Greens. The parathas were mouth-watering - crisp, colorful green parathas stuffed with nutrients like Vitamin C, protein and calcium. In fact the greens (that we generally throw away) are a better source of nutrients than the roots.

Please feel free to share this recipe. As noted in the copyright listed on the site, all I ask is that you indicate the source and share the link to this site. :)

Here is what you need:
1 bunch Radish Greens (washed and chopped)
2 cups whole wheat flour (I recommend my favorite King Arthur Whole Wheat)
1/2 tsp salt
Olive oil to make parathas

Here is how you make this:
Blanch the Radish leaves in hot water. Place in a blender and puree. Now add the Radish greens puree in the wheat flour along with salt and knead to a smooth dough. You may not need to add any water since the liquid in the puree may be adequate for a soft dough. Set aside for 1 hour.

Heat a non stick pan until hot. In the meantime, make small orange sized balls of the whole wheat dough. Dip the balls in flour and roll out into rounds shaped like a flat tortilla.

Dab the dough round with ½ tsp of oil. Fold over and enclose the oiled portion completely. Roll out again into a square or round shape. Place on the hot pan. Cook one side for half a minute. Flip over and spread 1/2 tsp oil on the side facing up. Now flip over again and spread oil on the side facing up so that both sides have oil. Toast on medium hot until crisp and brown.

Remove from the pan and serve hot with either Green apple in yogurt sauce, Potatoes in a jiffy - Paani Aloo or Sweet Green Chili pickle.



4 comments:

  1. that is a mouthwatering pic - i love it. I am assuming it will taste great even if I am not able to roll it out in any proper parotha shape! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Someone else that love mooli-wale paranthe as much as I do. Usually people love the aloo parantha or egg or ghobi, but not that many people think of mooli. Love the crunchy texture and intense flavor or the mooli. My mom's are amazing. Your recipe makes me think of them and my mouth is watering :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comment, Tinku. I know, mooli parathas are just fantastic, aren't they? :)

    Jaya

    ReplyDelete