Monday, January 26, 2009

Green Apple in Yogurt Sauce

South Indian Brahmins are known for their enormous affinity for yogurt. In India, people refer to yogurt as
"curd". No meal, and I mean literally no meal - breakfast, lunch, dinner or snack, is complete without a bowl of homemade curd.

Yogurt in India is usually home-made with live culture. Every night, before the housewife winds down and closes her kitchen, the last chore of the day is to add culture to pre-boiled milk to set yogurt (curd) for the next day. And every morning, the first chore is to refrigerate the new yogurt.

The new yogurt is used in a multitude of ways throughout the day: eaten plain, with sugar, made into Thair sadam, used a base for various sauces like "More Kozhambu" or "buttermilk sauce". It is also used with fresh cut cucumber and onions to make "Raitas" or "Pachadis".

I am a big fan of yogurt. My family consumes vast quantities every day. When I moved to the US, I tried to buy yogurt because no one I knew seemed to make it at home. I have tried various brands of buttermilk and yogurt. I found the unsweetened yogurts pasty and tasteless; I am not sure what they add in it to make it so. The sweetened yogurts are too sweet to be eaten as a meal accompaniment or used in Indian sauces. So I have finally decided to go back to my roots and now I make yogurt fresh and use live culture, just like I did when I lived in India.

Now that I have fresh home-made yogurt everyday, I am tempted to try all those Indian dishes that have yogurt as a base. I am also tempted to try out new dishes. One those new dishes is the "Green Apple in Yogurt Sauce".

I first saw a green apple in the US. In India we used to get one variety of apple and that was the red apple. When I first tried a green apple, I was surprised at its tart taste. It isn't very easy to eat as a fruit. But I have since read a lot about its fantastic nutritional qualities, most notably its Vitamin C, fiber and pectin content. So I have learned to use the green apple effectively in various dishes - combined with peppers in the Colorful pepper salad, and now in this simply fabulous recipe of "Green Apple Pachadi".

This dish is simply heavenly - the tartness of the green apple combined with the natural sweetness of the yogurt and the hot spiciness of the habanero pepper panders to all the flavors the human tongue is used to: tart, sweet, sour and hot!

Without much ado, here is the recipe. This is a fabulously healthy dish, which is also very low-fat and low calorie. Make it in just 5 minutes! Enjoy!

Here is what you need:
1 large green apple (granny smith) (the tarter, the better!)
1 cup thick unsweetened yogurt
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar

To Garnish:
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp black mustard seeds
1 tsp split, peeled urad dal (for the crunch, optional)
1 pinch asofoetida powder
1 habanero or jalopeno pepper (finely chopped) (optional - but take heed, this is what brings out the flavor of the apple and yogurt and gives this pachadi a fantastic taste)
1 sprig fresh green cilantro leaves

Here is how you make this:
Wash and chop the green apple. Add to the yogurt. Add salt and sugar and mix well. Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds. Wait for them to crackle. Now add the urad dal and brown until crisp. Now add the asofoetida powder and the chopped habanero and fry until crisp. (Ensure the habaneros are fried crisp - this will cut down the spice but retain the flavor of the habanero). Pour garnish over the pachadi. Decorate with finely chopped cilantro leaves.

Serve as an accompaniment to any spicy dish and rice. I generally serve with rice and sambar or with aloo paratha.

2 comments:

  1. One question, what exactly is asofoetida? Seen it in a lot of Indian recipes but don't know exactly what it is.
    Some friends of our served cut apples with lemon/lime juice and salt and pepper, had never had that before and loved it! It did taste best with very green apples.

    Will have to try this one, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eugenia,

    Asafoetida is a resinous gum that has a pungent smell. It has certain medicinal uses and most commonly is used as a digestive aid. It is reputed to lessen flatulence and is often added to lentil or eggplant dishes in small quantities. It is also said to be helpful in cases of asthma and bronchitis.

    You can get this (in powder form) at any Indian Store. It is called "Hing" in Hindi. The popular brand is LG but there are other brands avaiable. Use only a pinch for most dishes as it has a strong smell.

    Jaya

    ReplyDelete