Monday, February 16, 2009

Fresh Homemade Vegetable and Fruit nectar


My childhood has been filled with gossamer dreams, some woven by me, but many woven by both my grandfathers. As a young child, I was fortunate in having extended family that was very involved in my life. Both my grandfathers were story tellers. Summer evenings were usually spent under the starry skies, sitting around grandpa's feet, listening to him spin stories. Most stories were fun, imaginative and riveting.

It was not surprising then, that I spent a lot of my days following grandpa around like a little puppy, watching his every move. I guess the best way to teach an impressionable youngster is by example and I think that's what my grandpa managed to do. I watched as grandpa would fast one day each week. In answer to my questions about why he was not eating and why he thought it was important to drink only liquids one day a week, grandpa would tell me that our stomachs needed rest too; our digestive system works on overload and needed a break to rejuvenate, so he would drink only liquids one day a week.

As I grew older, I tried to adopt grandpa's example. I know popular advice in the US, vacillates about fasting. Sometimes the pundits will say fasting is good for you, sometimes not. But I do know that Indians have fasted and do fast frequently throughout their lives. Personally, I can say this: it has helped my stomach settle, because I do think we eat much more than we should everyday. On days that I fast, I usually make myself a blend of Vegetable and Fruit juice. I use Jack Lalanne's juicer to make this - it works very well. You are welcome to try this recipe with any juicer.

The great thing about this Vegetable and Fruit nectar is that it has no added salt, no added sugar and no spice. It is the most delectable juice you can find, that is fresh and 100% natural - the sweetness comes from the natural fructose in the fruit, the delicate flavor comes from the ginger and celery sticks. Here is the recipe for the nectar: drink it everyday or on days that you fast. Either way, you gain a healthy body!

Here is what you need:
2 carrots (washed)
1 green cucumber (washed)
1 stick celery (washed)
2 red apples (washed)
1 green apple (washed)
3 oranges
1" piece ginger (washed)

Here is how you make this:
Cut carrots and cucumber into 2 or 3 pieces. Quarter the apples and oranges. Remove the peel from the oranges. Place all the vegetables and fruit, one by one into the juicer. Stir the juice and enjoy right away!

I'll guarantee the juice will be sweet enough that you will not need to add any sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment