Thursday, January 8, 2009

Fusion Egg Sandwich

My mother is a meticulous cook. She is also a patient cook. She'll spend hours in the kitchen, preparing, chopping, mincing, slow roasting over the fire, tending to her dishes with love and it shows. The epicurean delight that her meals evoke is something that I aspire to, and am constantly working towards.

I, on the other hand, can lay claim to the dubious accolade of being a lazy cook. I love easy dishes - ones which are not involved. I do not like recipes that have me poring over instructions - one eye on the stove and the other on the printed recipe. Seems like too much work! :) By now, you must have experienced first-hand from the recipes I have posted so far, that I love to whip stuff up in a jiffy and use whatever I have at hand.

I also love fusion food. I love the idea of taking two different kinds of cuisines and blending ingredients to enhance the taste and tempt the palate.

So, here you have it - my 2 minute Fusion Egg Sandwich. As always, healthy, fulfilling, low fat and mmmmmm!

Here is what you need:
2-4 slices of whole wheat, 7 grain or 9 grain bread
1 tsp Olive oil
2 tbsps green coriander chutney (I make this in advance and store in the fridge - lookout for my recipe in the upcoming posts. You can also buy this at any Indian store)
2 large eggs (hard boiled)
1 pinch red chili powder (optional)
Salt to sprinkle (sea salt, or black salt or good ole plain salt)

Here is how you put this together in 2 minutes flat:
Spread olive oil sparingly on both sides of the bread slices. Heat a pan on medium heat and toast the bread until crisp. (My husband loves pan toasted bread and it tastes much better than oven toasted bread when eaten cold). Cool the slices and spread the coriander chutney on the slices. Cool the hard boiled eggs and slice into rounds. Place the sliced eggs between the bread slices and sprinkle with red chili powder and salt. Cut the sandwich into squares or triangles and pack for lunch.

2 comments:

  1. Jayaka,

    I tried the recipe and I love it. The pan toasted bread did taste much better cold. Of course being a grad student I used store bought chutney :) But the recipe was very simple and the outcome was very tasty.

    Shantha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shantha,

    Great you liked it. Watch out for my fusion french toast soon. :)

    Jaya

    ReplyDelete