Thursday, January 22, 2009

Colorful Pepper Salad



I know this may sound incongruous, but vegetarian Indians are not big fans of salads. In fact, not many Indian I know are salad eaters.

Oh, don't get me wrong; vegetarian Indians do eat vegetables. Only not in salad form. Vegetables are a must at every meal - only they are cooked, steamed, curried or stir fried and never eaten raw. It may be because the vegetables that traditionally were available in India in the 80s, 90s and earlier were organically grown and we were not so sure if they were free of pests. Or maybe, we thought the veggies tasted better when cooked. Whatever the reason, from my childhood, I always ate cooked, steamed, curried, or stir fried vegetables and have stayed far away from salads.

When I moved to the US, I made a valiant effort to eat at the salad bar, but the only way I could swallow those large torn lettuce leaves was to smother them with dressing - beats the purpose! So, when I finally came across this multi-colored pepper salad at a friend's potluck party, I was pleasantly surprised. I just loved it! I have modified it slightly from the recipe given by my friend.

But feel free to experiment by throwing in your favorite vegetables whilst using the colored peppers as a base. This salad needs absolutely no dressing and is zero fat!

This is a meal that will satiate all your senses. The wonderful hues of color - red, orange and gold of the peppers, the gorgeous green of the green apple and celery, the earthy brown of the walnuts and the deep maroons of the cranberries and beans will excite your aesthetic curiosity. The crunch and texture of the peppers, celery and walnuts will satisfy your need to munch. The fresh aroma of chopped vegetables will entice even a picky youngster to give this salad a try. And the beans will get your digestive juices flowing.

This is also a very healthy and filling meal by itself - it needs no accompaniment. Make it the previous evening, refrigerate and pick it up for lunch at work the next day. Super quick and easy!

Here's what you need:
1 large red bell pepper
1 large yellow bell pepper
1 large green bell pepper
2 stalks fresh green celery
3 small granny smith green apples
1 can red beans or garbanzo beans
handful chopped raw walnuts
handful cranberries or raisins
1 slit red chili for garnish (optional)

Here is how you make this:
Wash and chop all the vegetables. I generally chop really fine in order to bring out the flavors. Toss together and garnish with the slit red chili. Serve immediately or cold.

6 comments:

  1. Just found your blog today, I love the recipes, they look so yummy! I will have to try some on my husband, he will be so surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Eugenia. I hope your husband likes the dishes. :)

    Jaya

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow just landed on your blog - you have some lovely recipes.now i know exactly what you mean about eating veggies raw. but my 2009 resolution says eat one portion raw veggies eveyday - so far I haven't faltered! and i have never eaten raw capsicum. this salad looks real yummy will try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Rajani. I am sure you'll love it! Dont forget to add the walnuts and cranberries. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, very healthy and good for you.

    ReplyDelete