Thursday, December 4, 2008

Potato, Potaato, Tomato, Tomaato

My lil' sister Indu, is multi-talented. She is a renowned author and writes very fabulous novels. Call me biased, if you will, but she's onto her 4th book now and we are all very thrilled about her books. For my readers with a literary bent, here is a link to the review of her 4th book, "In the Convent of Little Flowers", in the National Geographic.

Now, writing is just one of her talents. The ones I most admire though, are the ones close to my heart: she is a fantastic cook, conscientious home-maker and a simply wonderful mom to her effervescent, sparkling, 2 year old.

As a child, Indu loved potatoes, and she still does. So, when she came over with her family for a visit in the summer, she offered to cook one of her famous potato dishes. One of these days, I expect she'll write a recipe book about 1001 potato recipes - she has that many up her sleeve! Now, the best part of Indu's cooking is that it doesn't require you to go grocery shopping. She'll simply fling together a scrumptious dish with whatever you have in your fridge and larder.

Taking a page out of her book, I decided to try out a new potato dish, since my son too, has taken after Indu in his taste for potatoes. I looked into my fridge and peered into my larder. I decided to whip up this lip-smacking Cilantro-Cilantro seed Potato dish. The double dose of Cilantro simply smells wonderful. Its like baking cookies when your house on the market for sale. The smells waft through your house making it inviting and homey on a cold winter day.

One of the worst enemies to a potato lover's waistline is the added fat that is required to cook potatoes. Try this dish - it has only one teaspoonful of Olive oil!

Cilantro-Cilantro seed Potato curry

You will need:
4 small potatoes
1 tsp Turmeric
1 tsp Oil
1 bunch green Cilantro leaves
2 tbsp Cilantro seeds (see attached photo)
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1/2" piece fresh ginger
1 fresh green or red chili (I use jalapeno or serrano peppers)
1 orange Habenero pepper (because I like it spicy! You can cut this out if you want it mild)

To prepare:
Toast the cilantro seeds on a hot, dry pan until golden brown. Place the Cilantro leaves, toasted seeds, ginger, green chili and habenero pepper in a blender and blend with 1/4 cup water until smooth.
Dice the potatoes. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. When the oil is hot, put in the cumin seeds and fry for a few seconds until browned. Now add the potatoes and turmeric and stir fry for a few minutes. Add in the sauce and cover and cook on a slow fire until the potatoes are tender.

Serve hot with parathas (Indian hand-made whole wheat bread)

1 comment: