Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings!

"You ARE what you eat!" an 8 year-old voice solemnly proclaimed from the back of my car. I swung around to look at my son's friend, seated next to my son, and nearly hit a curb. Then I turned back to the road and pretended not to hear so the boys could continue with the precocious chatter. Peter went on to say advise my son that if he liked to eat potatoes, he's going to look like a potato!!

Well, nearly everyone in my family likes to eat potatoes and I am determined that we shalln't look like one. :)

If you made the aloo parathas I have described in one of my previous posts, and if you are like me, you would either have extra whole wheat dough left-over or you would have extra spiced potatoes left-over. Now, when you have extra dough left-over, there is no problem at all, just follow the same recipe as aloo parathas and make plain parathas without the stuffing.

But what do you do with left-over potato? I remembered the 8 year-old's advice when I came up with this recipe. Here you go - enjoy these crisp, nutrient rich aloo tikkis without the added fat and huge amount of calories that normally go with the tikkis. Instead of the traditional shallow fried tikkis (cutlets) these are baked with very little oil. Yeah, potatoes without added fat!

Here's what you need:
2 cups spiced potato mixture
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated carrots
2 tbsp Olive oil

Here's how you make the tikkis (cutlets):


Pre heat oven to 350 F. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly.








Make flat cutlets with the potato mixture. Roll each cutlet in more breadcrumbs.







Brush with Olive oil. Place on a greased tray and bake for about 15 minutes. Take the tray out and flip the cutlets over and bake for another 10 minutes.







Serve with Tamarind date chutney or ketchup.

No comments:

Post a Comment