Thursday, December 11, 2008

Absolutely nutty :)

When I was a tween, one of my favorite pastimes was to spend hot summer afternoons, perching precariously in the crook of the guava tree in the backyard, reading Enid Blyton books.

I was fascinated by one of Enid Blyton's characters, Kiki, the talking parrot, who would always squawk, "Shut the door and wipe your feet!". And when I read the sentence where she tells a guy called Bill, "Bill, pay the bill!", my 10 year old wildly runaway imagination would picture the scene of a grown-up being told to pay the bill by a parrot. I would laugh so uproariously at the thought that I invariably fell out of the guava tree at that juncture. But that's not all I liked about Kiki. What I admired the most was that her loyalty could not be bought even when she was offered her favorite food - a handful of nuts.

Nuts were not just Kiki's favorite food, they also are mine! So, when a cousin came to visit from Canada and showed me this Peanut chutney recipe, I was thrilled. It tastes just fantastic and the very best thing about this recipe is that it has absolutely no oil - zero, zilch! The only fat in this chutney comes from the nuts themselves, which, as we all know is healthy fat.

Here's the what you will need:
1 cup raw peanuts
3 dry red chili
1 tsp salt

Heat a non-stick pan and toast the red chili until they start puffing up. Now add the peanuts and toast for about 5 minutes until peanuts are roasted well. Remove from fire and cool. Place the nuts and red chili in a blender along with half cup water and salt and blend until smooth. Add more water, depending on the consistency you would like.



Serve with Pesarattu (recipe provided on December 7, under the name "Green Revolution")

More tomorrow - Check back for Red pepper Gotsu recipe - hot off the stove!

No comments:

Post a Comment