Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Black Sesame Seeds and Sugar Beet Whole Wheat Fusion Bread - Cooking on a Shoestring Budget

There can be nothing more satisfying than breaking bread with a group of your friends to seal the camaraderie. From time immemorial, breaking bread signifies a shared bond, a sense of togetherness and every warm, fuzzy and friendly feeling.

Baking bread is my favorite pastime. The aroma of freshly baked bread must surely be one of the very best olfactory enticements for a human being. In fact, let me modify that: not just for a human being. The smell of fresh baked bread also entices my normally aloof cat, right onto my lap, licking his chops, smacking his whiskers and staring unblinkingly at my mouth, hoping to grab a fallen crumb!

When I bake, I love to experiment. Mostly, I use a basic bread recipe but will work with a plethora of ingredients, vegetables and spices so I can blend the eastern and western cuisine. And ever since I've switched to whole grains and unrefined carbohydrates, I try to bake bread at home so I can bake with my favorite King Arthur whole wheat flour - so yummy, tasty and oh, so satisfying!

Home-baked bread has many advantages: the aroma of the bread that fills the house for at least a day, the satisfaction of being an "artist" and a "creator", the knowledge that you can control what goes into your body, and best of all, since we are on our Shoestring series - the cost of the bread!

So go ahead and try this wonderful Fusion recipe of Black Sesame seeds and Sugar Beet Whole Wheat Bread. The grated sugar beet makes this bread moist and soft, the black sesame seeds add the crunch, and the whole wheat gives it bulk and texture.

This bread will assault all your senses - visual, olfactory and sensory. It looks enticing with the glorious red of the sugar beets, the shiny black of the sesame seeds, and the earthy brown of the whole wheat. It smells simply heavenly. And it is tasty and filling. In addition, it is healthy and low-fat. What more reason do you need to try this out on a Sunday afternoon?

Here is one more: it costs $1.40 and makes about 25 - 27 slices. Each slice is so filling that you can only eat a slice for each meal. That makes it $1.40 for 25 servings!

So without more ado, let's start.

Here is what you need:
3 cups King Arthur whole wheat flour
1/4 cup + 1 tsp sugar (brown sugar, if you want to ensure the bread has no whiff of refined stuff!)
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 medium sugar beet (peeled and grated fine)
1/4 cup + 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
1 cup water
1 tbsp active dry yeast
1 egg white

Here is how you make this:
Heat one cup water in the microwave until warm. Test the temperature by dabbing a drop onto your wrist. The water should be just warm and bearable. Add 1 tsp sugar, salt and active dry yeast to the water and let sit for about 10 - 15 minutes in a warm place until the water froths up.

In a large bowl mix together the whole wheat flour, 1/4 cup sugar, olive oil, grated sugar beet and 1/4 cup black sesame seeds. Slowly add the yeast mixture and knead thoroughly. Cover with a clean, wet kitchen towel and let sit on your warm countertop for a couple of hours. Punch down, knead, and cover once every hour.

Preheat the oven to 400F. Shape the dough into a loaf. Brush the top of the loaf with beaten egg white and sprinkle with 1 tbsp black sesame seeds.

Bake for about 40-50 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven, cool and slice. Store wrapped in an aluminum foil for upto a week.

Cost:
Whole wheat flour: $0.60
Oil : $0.20
Sugar : $0.10
Beet : $0.30
Sesame seeds : $0.10
Yeast : $0.10
--------------------------
Total :$1.40 - Serves 25 - about $0.05 to $0.06 a slice!
-------------------------

9 comments:

  1. Glad you are enjoying the flour. Your blog and photos are lovely. Happy Baking!

    MaryJane @ King Arthur Flour

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you MaryJane. Ever since I tried King Arthur whole wheat flour, I've loved it. It is my absolute favorite.

    You will find other recipes on my site using this whole wheat flour, in a variety of recipes...

    Jaya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Aunty,

    Looks yummy.Will bake this one for Ritvik.

    -Ramya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ramya. I hope Ritvik and Raju enjoy it!

    Jaya

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks yummy! I love the smell of homebaked bread!
    I have never been very adventurous with my cooking but i love your recipe - simple and enticing - and I am going to try it. Not to mention that shoestring series will be helpful for my budget - I am having a bunch of my son's friends coming over for a sleepover during the spring break and this should feed that entire army of pre-teens!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this does look delicious! I'm going to try it for my daughter. She will love this--makes a great snack. Thanks for posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a nice blog having good information.. i have also seen a site http://www.sesameseedsworld.com/ which is also having good information of sesame seeds..

    ReplyDelete